Saturday, April 3, 2010

Karibu Sana! (Welcome!)


Hello Everyone and welcome (karibu - Swahili) to my blog.

First, a little about me...

I just got accepted to be a volunteer high school teacher in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania starting early June 2010-June 2011!!! This is in fact the inspiration for starting my own blog. I am so psyched for the opportunity to make a difference tin TZ and I can't wait to go!

I love traveling and culture shock. I love challenging the status quo and pushing myself and others to consider other points of view. I love learning and refreshing my mind by trying out new things. I like leaning into discomfort. I hate regret and I rather try something and know I'm not into it than to never do it and always wonder if I would have.

Right now I'm a senior at a small liberal arts college in Saratoga Springs. I'm really into sociology and african studies. I'm all about social change and social justice. I specifically study race quite a bit and I love it... It's sooo important to know about, especially as a white person. I went to Tanzania for 3 weeks back in December doing research for my senior thesis I'm writing now. I'll graduate this May with a BA in sociology, anthropology, and gender studies. I'm highly motivated and involved in a billion things on campus, but I love it. I want to milk my education for all it's worth since I'm here on a full scholarship :) 

I love my friends and would do anything for them.. My favorite color is green, I love being outdoors. I love curry over rice. I am obsessed with mangos. I want to live in a tropical place when I'm older... I love hot weather. I'm originally from Vermont and have been living in upstate New York going to college for the past 4 years. I'm ready to get out of the North East for a while! I'm extremely nice and love to have fun. I love making other people feel good. I really like running and exercising... endorphins are amazing. I smile all the time and am really happy with my life!:) I'm really into hip hop music and rap (which might surprise you). I'm currently digging Usher's new album "Raymond vs. Raymond." I also love the Celtics bball team... I thought we were coming back this year with KG but now I'm not so sure! I'm a mix of a lot of different surprising things. I love spending time getting to know people. I'm an open book (clearly) and there's rarely something I won't answer, just try me ;) 

Now on to my favorite quote of the day:

"Let hatred turn into friendship because of your existence"
-Fortune cookie 3.22.08


Me and some Tanzanian friends I met during my trip in December 2009.



All dressed up for downtown Dar es Salaam with some TZ pals.


No comments:

Post a Comment