Thursday, July 8, 2010

Nairobi Lady Eyes...

Hello All!

I have pink eye right now for the first time ever, which is awfullllll. I have medicine though so I'm getting better and it was only $5...score! :) Six out of the eight volunteers in my program have gotten pink eye(s) in the last week - it spreads so easily!!! I was the 5th one to get it. I thought I was fine and then I woke up and was like Oh shitttttt. Haha. I'll be ok though. My Swahili teacher said that they call pink eye here "Nairobi lady eyes." That sounds so much prettier than what it's actually describing...I had to throw away my only pair of contacts here and I'm stuck wearing my glasses until I get my contacts from my family, which I accidentally forgot to bring with me when I left the States...so I guess I'll just have to embrace my nerd gear for the next week or so...

Btdubs, just to reiterate, my mailing address is the following if you ever wanna send me anything!

Megan Randall - WorldTeach Volunteer
Dakawa High School
PO Box 414
Morogoro, Tanzania

I just got back with my volunteer group from doing an overnight stay at a beach here in an area called Kigamboni. You have to take a small ferry from one side of the Dar es Salaam coast line to get to Kigamboni - it's still on the mainland of tanzania but it's just around the corner and only take 2.5 minutes to get from one side to the other on the ferry. We stayed in little beach huts and got to swim and sunbathe! IT WAS SO SUPER NICE! We've also been working hard, too, though! We got a talk today on the schooling system in Tanzania and it was somewhat helpful. Tomorrow morning we're leaving early to drive on a bus to Morogoro - the small city that's an hour away from my actual teaching site. We're going to spend a week there doing teaching practicums and then we'll travel to our teaching sites on Friday. I'm so excited to teach finally! I'm also a bit terrified, but it really should be amazing. It'll be a great opportunity for me to grow as a leader and really get to know myself and my students in ways that I can't even anticipate now! :)

We had our last Swahili lesson today with our fabulous teacher! :) I'll miss him, but he might be able to teach us a bit in Morogoro when we get there since he's going there this weekend and will be there for two weeks teaching other volunteers Swahili. Tonight we're having dinner at a fly Ethipian restuarant called "Addis in Dar" which I've heard is amazing!!!! :) We're going to Sweet Easy again after dinner for dancing and jamming to live out our last night in Dar. Just because I've got Nairobi Lady Eyes doesn't mean I can enjoy myself if I have the energy - I'm not contagious anymore either so don't sweat it.

Well that's all the updates I have for you now. Hope to hear from you soon! We're leaving for Morogoro in the morning and I'm not sure what the internet connection there will be like, but I'll try to update you all again as much and as soon as I can when I get there safely.

Talk to you soon! <3 ya!
Meg

3 comments:

  1. Omg Nairobi Lady eyes!!! that sucks.. at least the medication was cheap and its nice you dont have to go see a doctor right? So how comfortable are you speaking swahili now? Teaching will be great for you! I love you talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mambo?

    I stayed in Kigamboni for a weekend :) I think the resort was called, 'Sea Breeze' or something like that...we stayed in little army tents :) What beautiful water though and a great beach!

    Drink some mango juice for me when you get a chance, preferably the brand in the triangular cardboard containers :)

    x
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I am so excited that you are living and working in another country. You are truly Maida June Baxter's granddaughter. She would be so proud of your gumption and sense of adventure! My own experiences living and working abroad were a great learning and growing experience and without my Mom and Dad's encouragement I may have never gone. It's a great big wonderful world out there! Keep up that big beautiful positiveness that you have inherited! Love, Aunt Patti

    ReplyDelete